Job Seeking Tips for New Lawyers
- Don't panic-you'll find something. Just keep putting yourself out there.
- Don't narrow your opportunities. Keep an open mind. Go on interviews even if you don't initially think a job is the right fit. You can never be certain how things might turn out.
- If you're working independently, learn the business side of law: how to keep accounts, allocate resources, and market yourself.
- Find a way to stand out. Become an expert in a unique trade, or learn a second language.
- Build and maintain connections, but in an authentic way. Take people out for coffee without having an agenda. Also, try to be a resource for others as well.
- Diversify. Join professional associations, but also meet people and develop networks through outside interests. When you meet someone interesting, ask that person to connect you to other people they know.
- Seek out mentors, both on the job and outside of work. Without mentors it can be difficult to develop and expand your career.
- Keep pushing on; adversity can lead to opportunity